Busy with research on Rennes-le-Chateau it nearly is impossible to escape Nicholas Poussin`s painting “Et in Arcadia ego”, which in some books on Rennes-le-Chateau is used to fabricate “mysteries” within poor stories of bad fiction-writers. “Arcadia” of course is the rhetorical TOPOS or even a complete sector of literature dealing with what is called “pastorelles” or “bergeries”in arts whatever.
Such it may have happened, that I was sensibilisized to recognize at all a film-production by Eric Rohmer from 2007 in arte-TV with FRENCH original and German subtitles (in youtube I saw English subtitles as well …), which caught my attention because of language training, but turned out to rise interest in the subject itself.
Well, we all know from lesson-hours in literature during schooltimes that pastoral romances very often especially within the male part of the audience may tend to become boring in some way or other, especially if it gets “too much sweet” or too much “artificial refined” – and especially so, if we take into account the hard contrast of such “engagement into arts” inmidst of these belligerent times everywhere, which are far from any reminiscences to peace in the happy simplicity of the rural ways of life of bygone millennia of old.
In other words: NORMALLY and being on mainly effective time schedules I would have simply skipped this “cultural proposal”.
Well, so it is not my style of approach, to impede the audience with my own very restricted comments , I will proceed here in giving links to further INFORMATION – and even to the film itself, which is in arte-TV- mediathek and even in youtube.
The SUBJECT “Astrée et Céladon” and their “conflicts amourieux” is taken from a LITARARY template under of
- Honoré d’Urfé, marquis d`Valmorey, 1568-1625 , English title “Romance of Astrea and Celadon”, French title: Les Armoures de Astrée et Céladon
- – English Wikipedia URL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor%C3%A9_d%27Urf%C3%A9
- French wikipedia URL https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor%C3%A9_d%27Urf%C3%A9
This sujet however was TRASNPOSED by the film-regisseur Eric Rohmer in the surroundings of CELTIC DRUIDS of the 5th centrury anno Domini.
- FILM, English titel “Romance of Astrée et Celadong”, French title “Les Armoures de Astrée et Céladon” , by Eric Rohmer, 2007
- English Wikipedia URL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_Astree_and_Celadon
- French Wikipedia URL https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Amours_d%27Astr%C3%A9e_et_de_C%C3%A9ladon
And now the film itself:
- in arte-TV mediathek stream, 105 minutes – http://www.arte.tv/de/videos/071447-000-A/astree-und-celadon
- in youtube, but as playlist with 10 or so vids – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe7KM4MU1UziinuFhRvUh-gn4k4kRrELh
Buike Music And Science